foods to avoid giving your french bulldog

Foods To Avoid Giving Your French Bulldog

With their soaring popularity, more and more people are adopting Frenchies to be a part of their family. Unfortunately, many people don’t know about the French bulldog’s specialized dietary needs. They think that wheezing, snorting, coughing and sneezing are just cute little breed characteristics, when they may be warning signs that you’re feeding your bulldog the wrong type of food. Here are foods to avoid giving your french bulldog.

Foods To Avoid Giving Your French Bulldog


  • Alcohol Ingestion can lead to injury, disorientation, sickness, urination problems or even coma or death from alcohol poisoning.


  • The seeds contain cyanogenic glycosides which can result in cyanide poisoning.


  • The seed pit contains cyanogenic glycosides which can cause cyanide poisoning in dogs.


  • Avocado contains a toxic element called persin which can damage heart, lung and other tissue in many animals. Since avocado is the main ingredient in guacamole be sure and keep your dog out of the dip.


  • Cooked bones can be very hazardous for your dog. Bones become brittle when cooked which causes them to splinter when broken. The splinters have sharp edges that have been known to become stuck in the dogs:
    • teeth
    • choking when caught in the dogs throat
    • rupture or puncture of the stomach lining or intestinal tract.
  • Especially bad bones are
    • turkey
    • chicken legs
    • ham
    • pork chops
    • veal
  • Raw bones (uncooked in any way) like chicken necks or beef knuckle bones are generally considered safe and help keep your dog’s teeth healthy by removing plaque.


  • The toxic ingredient in broccoli is isothiocynate. While it may cause stomach upset it probably won’t be very harmful unless the amount fed exceeds 10% of the dogs total daily diet.


  • Beverages with caffeine (like soda, tea, coffee) acts as a stimulant and can accelerate your pet’s heartbeat to a dangerous level. Pets ingesting caffeine have been known to have seizures, some fatal.


  • Sugarless candy containing xylitol has been recognized by the National Animal Poison Control Center (NAPCC) to be a risk to pets (first published July 2004). This compound can cause liver damage and death in some dogs.
**Xylitol is also in natrual toothpastes, gum, and now being added to peanut butter.

Cat Food

  • Cat food is not formulated for canine consumption. It is generally too high in protein and fats and is not a balanced diet for a dog.


  • The seed pit contains cyanogenic glycosides which can cause cyanide poisoning.


  • Chocolate contains theobromine, a compound that is a cardiac stimulant and a diuretic. When affected by an overdose of chocolate, a dog can become excited and hyperactive.
  • Due to the diuretic effect, it may pass large volumes of urine and it will be unusually thirsty.
  • Vomiting and diarrhea are also common.
  • The effect of theobromine on the heart is the most dangerous effect. Theobromine will either increase the dog’s heart rate or may cause the heart to beat irregularly. Death is quite possible, especially with exercise.
  • Symptoms of chocolate poisoning include:
    • vomiting
    • diarrhea
    • tremors
    • hyperactivity
    • irregular heartbeat
    • seizures

Corn Cobs

  • Many dogs have suffered and, in some cases, died after eating corn-on-the-cob, because the corn cob caused a partial or complete intestinal obstruction. Never allow your dog access to corn cobs.

Dairy Products

  • Most dairy products are digested poorly by dogs who have little or none of the enzyme required to digest the lactose in milk. Just like lactose-intolerant people, lactose-intolerant dogs can develop excessive intestinal gas (flatulence) and may have foul-smelling diarrhea.
  • It is best to avoid most dairy products altogether, although small amounts of cheese or plain yogurt are tolerated by most dogs, since these products have less lactose than most.

Macadamia Nuts

  • The toxic compound is unknown but eating as few as six nuts without the shell has been known to cause:
    • elevated body temperature
    • accelerated heartbeat
    • tremors in the skeletal muscles
    • weakness or paralysis of the hindquarters
  • Affected dogs have difficulty or are unable to rise, are distressed and usually panting.

Mouldy or Spoiled Foods

  • The common mold found growing on many foods contain toxins such as Penicillium mold toxins.
  • Symptoms of poisoning include:
    • severe tremors and seizures that can last for hours or even days. This is considered an emergency and medical treatment is needed to control the seizures and detoxify the dog.


  • Mushroom poisoning can be fatal if certain species of mushrooms are eaten. The most commonly reported severely toxic species of mushroon in the US is Amanita phalloides, but other Amanita species are also toxic. They can cause severe liver disease and neurologic disorders.
  • The recommendation is to induce vomiting when these mushrooms are ingested and to give activated charcoal, as well. Supportive treatment for liver disease may also be necessary.


  • Nutmeg is reported to be a hallucinogenic when ingested in large doses. Nutmeg has been known to cause tremors, seizures and in some cases, death.


  • Nuts in general are not good for dogs as their high phosphorus content may lead to bladder stones.


  • Onions cause hemolytic anemia, which means that the red blood cells break down leaving the dog short of oxygen. Onion poisoning can occur with a single ingestion of large quantities or with repeated meals containing small amounts of onion.


  • The seed pit contains cyanogenic glycosides which can cause cyanide poisoning.


  • Pears The seeds contain cyanogenic glycosides which can cause cyanide poisoning.


  • Dogs can become extremely ill or even die from eating poisonous plants. Keep all unknown types of plants and any plants suspected of being poisonous out of reach of your pet.


  • The seed pit contains cyanogenic glycosides which can cause cyanide poisoning.


  • Solanum alkaloids can be found in green sprouts and green potato skins, which occurs when the tubers are exposed to sunlight during growth or after harvest.
  • The relatively rare occurrence of actual poisoning is due to several factors:
    • solanine is poorly absorbed; it is mostly hydrolyzed into less toxic solanidinel; and the metabolites are quickly eliminated.
  • Cooked, mashed potatoes are fine for dogs, actually quite nutritious and digestible.

Raisins or Grapes

  • Same as grapes.

Rich Fatty Foods

  • Rich, fatty foods can be very dangerous to dogs susceptible to attacks of pancreatitis. Often you may not know that your dog is susceptible until he is very sick with his first attack.  It is best to avoid these foods altogether.
    • turkey skin
    • bacon, sausages, hot dogs
    • fruit cake, plum pudding
    • deep-fried
  • Signs of pancreatitis generally include an acute onset of vomiting (sometimes with diarrhea) and abdominal pain, which may be evidenced as a hunched posture or “splinting” of the abdomen when picked up.
  • The dog may become very sick quickly and often needs intensive fluid and antibiotic therapy gested raw salmon.
  • Salt Iodized salt and salty foods can cause stomach ailments and pancreatitis. Some dogs, especially large breeds, have been known to gulp too much water after eating salty foods and developed a life-threatening condition called bloat during which the stomach fills with gas and twists, leading to a painful death unless emergency treatment is received immediately.

Tomatoes and Tomato Plants

  • These contain atropine which can cause dilated pupils, tremors and irregular heartbeat. The highest concentration of atropine is found in the leaves and stems of tomato plants, next is the unripe (green) tomatoes and then the ripe tomato.

Huskerland Bulldogs

My name is Susie McManigal. I am very blessed to be able to raise AKC Registered English & French Bulldogs. I have been breeding Bulldog Puppies for 15 years, and can honestly say that I have loved every minute of it. My dogs are not just a job, they are my life. I love each and every one of them dearly!

You can call us, email us, or drive to our physical address and meet us and our bulldogs. Contact us for any questions.